What are the 4 types of computer maintenance?
- Over time, your system builds up temp files that need to be cleared out. Specialized software exists to take care of this task.
- Keeping your OS up-to-date is very important. The OS is never "finished", what you get as an OS is simply the best, least buggy version of the OS at the scheduled release date. So, update and patches are regarded a normal in the life cycle of software.
- Rather than running the various programs manually, the OS has built in mechanisms that allow the user to schedule tasks to automatically run at predetermined times or based on action triggers, such as loggin in or shutting down.
Lastly, there are some fixes that solve the problem better than 50% of the time. It's one of the simplests, most idiotic, and successful fixes that solves many problems: Cycling the power on the machine.
Some will say that cycling the power is a noobs call to action, however, shutting down the computer, and unpluggin it for 3-4 minutes is a good first step towards solving your issue. 😏
Monthly computer maintenance
- scan for rootkit using your anti-virus software
- check for updates for OS and Apps
- run system cleaner
- verify backups are being stored correctly by recovering some data
- blow dust out of the computer case. Dusty environments can overheat a CPU and graphics card very quicky if it's not removed on a regular basis.
Current operating system updates
- always run OS sytem updates they become available. This will prevent opportunistic viruses from accessing your computer.
Computer maintenance schedule
- Assign system tasks to take care of the routine tasks that need to be performed.
Regular computer maintenance
The fail safe quick fix is to "shut off" the computer and unplug it from the wall for 3 minutes. As dumb as this sounds, for the basic quick fix, try this and see if it works. Obviously, this won't work for every situation, but it's a first goto fix for most problems.